The Society for the Preservation of Cultural Heritage and Green Parks in Malmö
On the 10th of October 1881, the Society for the Preservation of Cultural Heritage and Green Parks was founded in Kungsparkspaviljongen in Malmö. At that time, there were no parks or green areas for relaxation and recreation accessible to all inhabitants of Malmö, but some driven and proactive people decided to change this fact. The society’s task was to ”promote beautification, improvement and plantation in Malmö”.
The Society’s first project was to redeem land and to construct forest plantations and green areas; these constitute Slottsparken today. Board members that had an interest in gardening organized the import of seeds and plants from exotic countries, which were brought to Malmö by boats that sailed intercontinental waters. This is the reason for the unusual richness in species that Slottsparken and Kungsparken continue to display until this day.
The Society also introduced allotment gardens after the Danish model. It leased 1,96 hectares of land, which was then let to those inhabitants of Malmö that were interested in spending their free time gardening—a very popular pastime, then and now. Eventually, the management of these allotments was made over to their holders, who formed their own societies.
In 1907, the Society changed its name to ”Malmö Förskönings- och Planteringsförening” (The Society for the Preservation of Cultural Heritage and Green Parks in Malmö). The purchase of art to enhance the city and to conserve cultural environments became increasingly important to the Society.
Outdoor recreation and nature have since the very beginning been the focus of the Society. In 1926, 200 meters of beach were completed, and Ribersborgsstranden was born. The sand came from the Öresund and was transported by trains on the then existing Limhamnsbanan. Four years later, the city of Malmö expanded the beach to its current size.
Carl Milles’ sculpture “Pegasus” was bought by the Society and was placed on Linnéplatsen in Slottsparken in 1950. At that point, this was the Society’s biggest accomplishment.
During the 1960s, the Society’s interest starts to focus on the conservation of cultural heritage. Many old buildings are restored with the Society’s support, among others, the Ekström house in the corner of Larochegatan/Lilla Torg and the Aspegrénska house—the so-called ”Dockhuset” (Dollhouse) on Lilla Torg. Later on, in 1973, Lilla Torg was also embellished and received a well—“Samling vid pumpen” (Gathering by the Pump), by Thure Thörn.
Throughout the years, the Society has contributed to artistic enrichment, conservation of cultural heritage, renovations, and much more. All of this with the purpose of beautifying, improving and preserving the city of Malmö for the benefit of all of its inhabitants.
The Society is a private organization and has no political affiliations.
According to the statutes, the Society’s purpose is to conserve, preserve, bring to life, and enhance the cultural heritage as well as it works for improvements such as plantations and artistic decorations. This purpose is met mainly through donations to individual persons, companies and communal or stately institutions.